Thursday, October 4, 2012

Whistling A Different Tune



We all have them.  
.
.
.
.
.
Memories. 
.
.
.
.
.

Memories of course that we cherish and maybe a few that we would like to forget.


Might it be a smell, a song, a picture, a meal, a place, that takes you back to the day...yesterday, last week, last year, 10 years ago.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Growing up my family was not very well off so something that triggers memories for me as an adult are certain foods that we or other family members ate on a regular basis...and when I mean regular I mean, sometimes it was several times a week even, because that is all that there was.




Braunschweiger. I *heart* my grandpa but man have you ever smelled that stuff?  Disgusting.  But yet I can see him clearly sitting at the kitchen table spreading the liver concoction on a cracker, devouring it quickly.  He ate that and bologna ALL.THE.TIME.  I remember he would go to the local market down the street and he would buy the bologna from the deli, thin slices with the red plastic still attached to the outside, that we would peel off with our teeth as we were slapping it on a slice of bread with a spread of mayo or mustard.   I can not stomach the smell of either and refuse to eat it now as an adult.  Even if it was the last thing, the only thing in the refridgerator, I don't know if I could do it.  I know that might sound really selfish since there are so many people that would love to have that for a meal....but not me.  Not now.  Not sure if ever.

Sh*t on a Shingle.  Do you know that recipe?  Hamburger, rice, cream of mushroom soup, poured over bread or biscuits.  My step mom/dad used to make that all the time for us kids when times were lean, which was often.  I am certain my dad and grandpa picked this up from their military days.   I guess it is better than going hungry, right...but again, not happening anytime soon in my kitchen.

And we can't forget TOP RAMEN.  OhhEmmGee!  Top Ramen a staple in many starving college students apartments or heck many regular households now, I am sure, because of the unemployment rates and economy.  But not in this one....until now.  I have actually purchased it before since the kids like it but have not eaten it myself up until just recent when I improvised and added it to my vegetable stir fry.  I usually put the stir fry over rice but ran out of rice so I used the ramen noodles without the seasoning instead.  And it was good!   I was a bit surprised.







I didn't realize how many Top Ramen recipes there are until I started writing this post and checked some out.


Budget101 has 137 recipes listed and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  Here are some odd ones I found.

# 37 Chocolate Peanut Butter Ramen
#60 Fried Ice Cream Ramen (Really?)
#101 Ramen Spam Doodles
#106 Sloppy Joe Ramen
#131 Trail Mix Ramen

I might need to take it pretty slow while I get reacclimated to ramen so I don't think I will be making any of these recipes anytime soon.

Do you have any food aversions as an adult because of your childhood eating habits?  Or do you have any Top Ramen recipes you want to share?

2 comments:

  1. I started eating ramen noodles again a couple years ago when I found a delicious soup recipe...I'll have to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids LOVE ramen. They will eat it for breakfast if I will let them. I like it with stir fry, but just to sit down and eat it like the kids do? Nope, not since college. :)
    stopping by from TALU

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -