Thursday, November 11, 2010

What Does That Mean?

Organized?  I know what it means by definition: To put in an orderly, functional system.  But what does that mean?  To you? To me?  The definition will probably vary because it is all in the eyes of the beholder.  My organization may not be your organization.  One size does not fit all.  You have to figure out what works FOR YOU!

I don’t know about you but when I think about getting “more organized” and I say that in quotes because I think I have a long way to go…I start to panic a bit.  I have all these “great” ideas but bringing them to fruition, well that is something else. 

It is funny because at work I am super uber organized by most standards.  Everything has a place.  Everyone knows where everything is (for the most part), if they need something in my office. Drawers are labeled.  Folders are labeled.  My client notes, impeccable if I do say so myself (pat, pat on the back).

But at home, sometimes, lucky if I can find my head.  There are definitely certain areas of our home that are more organized than others.  Anything that most people can see when coming into my home, is orderly…But duck before you open the hall closet! 

Why or how can I be so organized out side of the home but not so much inside the home?  I think what it boils down to for me is just being able to take the time to get organized or more organized.  I find that I try and do too many things in the shortest amount of time...and then get overwhelmed... and burnt out.  (I'm starting to get anxiety just thinking about it).

I think I need to take baby steps...


I am going to commit to organizing “something” each day for as many days as it takes to get things in order.  I am not going to spend too much time on any one task and I am going to start small. 

I would suggest for others not to jump right into organizing the spare bedroom, start by cleaning out the junk drawer or organizing your computer desk area (that is something I need to do and it is on my “list” for today), organize the medicine cabinet in bathroom.  Organize things that others will notice.  When others notice, it will give you that much more incentive to continue on.  Positive reinforcement.  It works for adults too.

Depending on what you start out by organizing will determine what you need to “get” organized.  You don’t have to go out and buy a ton of supplies. A few items should be sufficient.  If you bog yourself down shopping then it is that much less time you have to work on the real task.

Key supplies that help me:

  • Post It Notes/Sharpie Pen
  • Shredder (if you are organizing paperwork; shred any old documents with personal information on them)
  • Trash can nearby to toss all the unnecessary junk (junk mail, broken crayons, pen lid;no pen attached)
  • Box for items to take to Goodwill or Local Charity
  • A few small clearview bins to store “like” items in (all of our medicine now goes in one of these and put in the very top of the closet so not easily accessible to children)
  • Label maker (to label folders, bins, etc)


Now go, get off the computer…and get to organizing!  Have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -