Thursday, September 8, 2011

No Betty Crocker


Now, I have never professed to be Betty Crocker by any means but throughout my years of cooking I would definitely say that I have improved quite a bit.  I also have picked up a few tricks along the way that have helped in some of my dishes. 

Here are just a few.  Some may be old news, some may be new to you.

1.  For the perfect hard boiled eggs, make sure to only boil one layer of eggs.  Bring water to a boil (approx 7-10 mins) and then turn on med-high for another 10 mins. Immediately after taking off the stove, dump hot water out of pan and fill up with cold water.  Let sit in water to cool.  Once cool, they will be easy to peel and perfect.

2.  With Johnny's, you can spice up just about anything.  You don't need 50 different types of spices.  Buy the one and get it done. (Even the most bland meals will turn out flavorful with a couple dashes of this).

3.  Love to make hamburgers but don't have a hamburger press.  Use the bottoms of two small plates, lay hamburger ball on one side, press the other against it to flatten into a patty.



4.  No milk?  Substitute with sour cream.  Makes the dish creamier.

5.  For baking, instead of using sugar, use honey. 

6.  Lower fat Lasagna, use low fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese.

7.  Deviled eggs anyone?  Add a little zing with horseradish.

8.  Run out of bread crumbs for your meatloaf or breading for chicken or pork chops?  Use crackers. (Add seasoning to the crumbled crackers for some extra flavor).

9.  Perfect pasta every time.  Always salt your water and then after straining your pasta, put back into pot and add some olive oil, mix so the noodles don't stick together.

10.  And last but not least, when in doubt, add some cheese.  It makes just about everything better.  (Yes, I am a cheese lover).  Tillamook, of course.


There is more where these come from but I will leave you with these for now.

Do you have any tried and true cooking tips you want to share?

2 comments:

  1. After reading your comment on my blog, I'm amazed by how similar we seem to be.

    Then I come here and read about your love of cheese - snap! Cheese is one of my favourite things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese makes EVERYTHING better! (So does Sour Cream.) :)

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -