Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My New Normal

I am not sure that there is one. 

I have been back from Ethiopia for just over a month now but it feels like it was yesterday.  All the feelings and emotions are still fresh when I think about things.   I know I wasn't there for to terribly long but the trip has left a lasting impression on my life, on my heart, in my mind. 

I am not sure there is a normal and if there is, I haven't found it yet. 

Maybe I don't want to find it.  I think, if I get back to things "like normal" then I would slip into my comfort zone, become a bit complacent and just go on with life.  I don't want to just "go on".  I want to do something.  I want to make an impact.  I want to change peoples lives. 




I know you are probably getting tired of me writing about this, since I know it has been a bit all consuming, but that is just it.  There is a not an hour that goes by that I don't think of Ethiopia, the villages, the people I met while there.  The lifelong friendships I made with my fellow volunteers.  Like the roots and branches of this tree, we will be forever intertwined by this experience.  






I want to go back.  I want my family to go with me.  We are making plans.  We are making some changes around these parts to make this possible.  It might not be tomorrow, it might not be next week.   But we are pointing our lives in that direction. 

In the meantime, I will continue to write about my experience.  I will continue to share their story.  I will continue to pray for them.  For you.  And again, I will ask if you have an extra $12.00 per month would you consider sponsoring Megaladi.  They NEED water.  This is the first item on the list and it will make the world of difference in their village.

Ground water villagers dug up in a nearby dry river bed


If you are on Facebook, there is now a Megaladi Facebook page.  Interested in joining?  Go here.





2 comments:

  1. Jenn, I'm with you--when we get back to normal, we tend to forget. I am admiring that your whole family will be going at some point. I actually believe that if more children were exposed to helping others in greater need, the world would progress quicker in lessening the suffering of not having water and food, etc. Not all pain can be diminished, but there is so much that actually is unnecessary. You have already begun this process, but while you're here in the US, you can certainly continue (even with your family) to raise awareness of the needs of the village you visited. Just as you posted the link to donate for water, the same can be done for clothing or toiletries, even school supplies. To do God's work has been written on your heart in indelible ink--I am sure your mark on the world will be deep. You are answering the call. My prayers are with you, as you continue to prepare you and your family for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand and agree whole-heartedly!! I don't think there will be a "back" to normal for me, either...just a "new" normal. I admire that you are making plans for your whole family to be involved...amazing! And keep mentioning it, please! I'll keep reading. :) The part I'm having a hard time digesting in everyday life is this -- isn't it incredible that your entire life and purpose has been so impacted by such a short span of time?! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -