I made this meal one night last week.
Even though you would normally probably think of this dish as a side item, I used it as the main entree and paired it with some applesauce since the entree already had protein (chicken), carbs (rice) and vegetables (peas & carrots).
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked/diced chicken breast (chicken tenders or chicken for stir fry work well so you have less prep time in cutting up chicken into smaller pieces)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (or more depending on your taste buds)
- 1 bag of frozen peas/carrots medley
- 6 cups cooked white rice (we typically use brown rice)
- 2 eggs
- Non Stick Cooking Spray* (NSCS)
Spray large skillet with non stick cooking spray.
Cook diced chicken in large skillet on medium heat until brown (10-15 mins)
Cook brown or white rice as directed on bag/box.
Cook frozen peas/carrots on stove top until al dente. Drain excess water. Set aside.
Cook eggs in separate skillet, scramble*. Do not add milk.
Mix all items into the large skillet where chicken was cooked.
Add soy sauce, stir. Let simmer for about 5 mins and serve.
*Don't forget to coat skillet with NSCS
This is also a great recipe for left over pork, turkey and even ham! I know it doesn't sound as appealing Turkey Fried Rice, Ham Fried Rice...but it's all good!