Friday, December 3, 2010

5 on Friday

Although I like to cook, I don't always have time to prepare an "elaborate" meal for my family.  Often times I find shortcuts, cut corners, substitute here and there in order to prepare something that is not only delicious and healthy (ier) but also less time consuming in the kitchen (while also staying on budget).

I am starting a new *series* if you want to call it that where every Friday I am going to post a recipe (s) that only require Five Ingredients (cooking oil/spray,spices, water, salt & pepper are freebies).

This will hopefully get you going for your menu planning for the following week.

I will start the series off with the meal I prepared last night...Beef & Broccoli.

Ingredients

  • 1-2 lb thin cut steak (I often times by Beef for Stir Fry and/or have butcher slice the meat; meat at Albertsons was BOGO this week)  **Lower cost alternative would be the Carne Asada Beef**
  • 1 lb broccoli florets (fresh or frozen; I used the steamable bags of broccoli since on sale at Albertsons for $1.25/each)
  • 1 large onion (diced)
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce mixed with 3/4 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in soy sauce/water (for thickening)
Freebie:  Water, Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil

1  Coat pan with 2 tablespoons of oil.
2  Stir in beef and onion , let cook until golden brown on med heat, stirring frequently (apporx 10-15 mins)
3  Prepare sauce in medium bowl
4  Blanch the broccoli in a small pot of boiling water OR throw in microwave if steamables but do not cook entirely (4-7 mins).
5 Once meat is golden brown, add broccoli & sauce
6 Cook covered on med heat for 10-15 mins longer stirring frequently while the sauce settles into the beef and broccoli.


Serves 6 (we even had leftovers)

Pair with a side of Asian salad  (Lettuce, Cucumber, Mandarin Oranges, Asian Noodles & Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing) OR Rice and you have yourself dinner!



D-E-L-I-S-H!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -