This quick and easy recipe is ALWAYS a hit in our house.
I hope your family will enjoy it too!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 8-16 ounces shredded cheese (Cheddar, Monterey, whatever you like best)
- 1 bag of corn tortilla chips or 8-10 tortillas
If you do not use tortilla chips nor do you want to lay the tortillas on the bottom, you can just layer accordingly without those items (which is what I usually do).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and drain fat. Add the diced tomatoes with green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix . Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, place a layer of tortilla chips OR tortillas.
- Cover with a layer of the meat mixture then a layer of cheese. Repeat until the top layer is cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Then you can roll the mixture into a tortilla like a burrito adding a dollop of sour cream and salsa. OR you can put on top of the tortillas chips for "nachos".
Pair with some spanish rice (brown rice mixed with a little bit of salsa) OR southwestern corn (corn mixed with a little bit of salsa).