Monday, October 3, 2011

Menu Plan Monday $7 Dinner Challenge

Week 1.

This week I am starting a challenge for the next month.  In light of the increase cost of groceries I am challenging myself to make dinners for $7.00 or less for our family of 5.  Can I do it?  You will have to visit each week for the update and check out what I am making within the budget constraints. 


Photobucket

As always on Mondays, I am linking up with I'm An Organizing Junkie for MPM.


Sunday

Italian Meatballs w/Sauce
Sauteed Zucchini
Garlic Bread sticks

Total Cost:  $6.23

Monday

Quick Pepper Chicken over Rice

Total Cost: $5.79

Tuesday

Gnocchi
Corn on the Cob
Apple Wedges

Total Cost: $6.13

Wednesday

Chicken & Veggie Alfredo

Total Cost:  $6.48

Thursday

Beef Enchiladas
Spanish Rice

Total Cost: $12.52---FAIL!

Friday

Scrambled Eggs
Sausage

Total Cost: $4.57

Saturday

To be determined.  (Hubby is on his own tonight)

Total Dinner Costs 6 Nights for 5:  $41.72. 

Not too bad with going WAY over on the Beef Enchiladas.  I figured those would send me over because of the beef and cheese being overly expensive.



For full disclosure, I will not be including butter, olive oil, spices, or condiments in the total cost since those are items that I typically do not buy every week.  I will not be including the cost of milk if used in a recipe since again it is an item we always have on hand and would be hard to determine the cost for 1/4 c of milk or whatever it may be.


Vote for me!  Vote for me! Pretty please with sugar on top!

Best_all_around_mom_blog

6 comments:

  1. great job! we are on a very tight budget and spend less than $100 a week on groceries for our family of 7 (almost 8), but thankfully we had a wonderful garden and processed much! we usually have a favorite dinner night that costs a bit more, too :) but it is a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did very well! I am not sure I would have such great discipline but I would like to give it a go sometime. lisaplus6 that's incredible, under $100 for 8..I'm not sure I could manage so little with my munchkins! You have both given me food for thought! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job. I am surprised that the enchiladas took you over the amount. Its one of the dishes I make cheap. Ok now I want enchiladas.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious, too, about why the enchilada menu was more expensive. I use scant ground beef when I make beef ones. Maybe it was the cheese, which does tend to be expensive. Anyway, nothing at all wrong with your menu choices!

    BTW, when my family is on their own, we call it YOYO night (you're on your own!). Every family needs one of those every week or two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beef $2.99, Cheese $2.99, Tortillas $2.29...Right there I blew the $7.00. Plus sauce, olives, green chilis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think u did great
    i wont buy ground beef unless its 1.99/lb then i stock up and freeze it for other meals
    Here is a link to my Menu Plan/Question of the week
    I'd love if you stopped by my blog to check it out and answer the question of the week,which will now be a weekly thing on my blog!
    Have a great weekend
    (im just now on saturday getting a chance to finish browsing menus)
    Cooking with Cristin

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -