Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hearts & Stars

Yesterday was Hayden's 4th Birthday and mommy (that would be me) decided to make cute little finger sandwiches for our guests along with other "kid" friendly fare since it was a kids birthday.  Make sense, right?

What I didn't realize when I decided on this "grand" idea is how time consuming it was going to be.  I had to make enough sandwiches and ants on a log for 16 people. I was literally cutting and making sandwiches and putting raisins on the logs minutes before guests arrived.  Talk about cutting it close.

They however turned out so *cute* and Hayden loved them so I would do it again in a New York minute (or in this case 120 minutes). (However I hope he doesn't always expect me to cut his sandwiches up in shapes now...lol)


Here is what they looked like:




I told you they were cute!

I made two kinds Crunchy Tuna Salad (Stars)  and PB&J (Hearts) . 

It was fun watching the adults eat the PB&J sandwiches.  Kinda brings you back to when you were a child.  (Although I still eat PB&J as an adult sometimes with a nice cold glass of milk.  Yum!)

The Crunchy Tuna Salad turned out so good.  Want the recipe?

Crunchy Tuna Salad

Ingredients

(3) Cans of drained tuna
1/2 Cup (or 1/2 of the bag) shredded cabbage w/carrots (Coleslaw mix you can buy in produce section)
(2) tablespoons of plain yogurt
1/4 cup of mayonnaise (or more or less depending on how mayonnaisy you like your tuna)
Bread (how ever many slices you need based on guests and/or if you are shaping them like I did)

Directions

1. Combine all items in a bowl.
2.  Mix until tuna, coleslaw mix *smothered* with yogurt/mayonnaise
3. Using your cookie cutters cut your shapes from the bread slices.*
4.  Spread your tuna mixture on one side of the bread shape.
5. Top with the other side of shape.

*Each bread slice was able to cut two shapes.  Depending on the size of your cookie cutters will obviously determine how many shapes you get from a piece of bread.

And the ants on a log.  That is a simple one.  Celery stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter and raisins.


These were a little messier since I was kinda in a bit of a hurry at this point.  Oh well, everyone ate them anyways.  I guess it doesn't matter what they looked like.

I also made a Fruit Salad and  Pasta & Ham Salad.  I will save the Pasta & Ham Salad recipe for a later time. 



(The addition of the feta cheese was for me.  Love the feta!)


And viola.....





Everyone had a great time and Hayden made out like a bandit!


Now onto another birthday today, my oldest is turning 19!  We are taking her out to dinner tonight with extended family.  No cooking or making food for me today. Thankfully!

Have a great Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. New follower from the hop! Hope you can hop over to www.girltechdivas.com and follow back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok yes they totally sound time consuming but Oh.mah.gosh. they're SO cute!! It reminds me of tea time, love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! The fruit salad made me want some! It's all really cute!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments!

 
- Copyright 2020 imnotsuperwoman.com - Designed By: Layne Design Studio -